Friday, June 19, 2009

GRACE or coincidence???

So I have tell what happened to me today. The real point of the story happens at the end, but as a teaser I will say this truly will be a day I will never forget.

So to set the scene I was driving home from the barn this evening around 7pm. The road that leads from the barn is two lanes and VERY curvy. I travel this road normally speeding between 50-60mph (speed limit 45mph) and tonight was no exception. Out of no where this old school blue Integra comes up to pass me on A CURVE!!!!!!! I seriously thought I was seeing things as he must have been going 85mph. As we rounded the curve we both saw an oncoming car in the opposite lane. I literally had to slam on the brakes so he could squeeze through without slamming head on to the car. I laid on my horn and was downright pissed and shaken by the whole incident. I thought to myself this guy must be drunk because not even a sober stupid kid would try that move. I tried speeding up enough to keep him in view, but he was going so fast he was out of sight within mere seconds. I decided it would sound stupid to call the cops since I did not even have a license plate number.
A few miles down the road I went to turn on my blinker to take a left when I saw THE BLUE CAR flipped over on the side of the road! I was shocked as I almost felt like I knew this was what was waiting for me at the end of the road. I quickly drove over and ran to the car. It was completely totalled and the kid was crawling out of the window. He had massive head trauma.
A neighbor who was mowing his lawn came running over and said he had heard the crash and had already called 911. The neighbor was so shaken by the sight of this kid he just started nervously picking up the mangled pieces of car that were strewn everywhere and repeating that the ambulance was on its way. As much adrenaline as I had going through me I managed to stay calm and be assertive with the kid not to move as I knew he must have had neck injuries as well. The kid reeked of alchol. I felt a feeling of total anger and sadness ... it was like watching a movie or an ad for MADD. The kid's whole left side of his head had nearly tripled in size and his fingers were completely lacerated.
Soon the ambulance came as well as the kid's cousin who he had called from his cell phone. In all this confusion and mayhem he had told me this was the 4th car he had flipped. I truly wanted to smack him right there, but I did fear it wouldn't help the head wound he already had going on.
As the paramedics looked at him I backed off and waited with the neighbor and a cyclist who had saw the accident as well. Suddenly I looked up and noticed a mound of mulch which was nicely planted with shrubbery and in the middle was a 8ft wooden cross. You know the amazing pictures people send you in your email- this was exactly that.... It made every hair on my arms stand up. Just as I noticed the cross I looked over and the kid's cousin was pointing to the cross. We both caught eyes and I just simply nodded my head. After taking out three mailboxes and flipping three times the car landed up right right in front of this cross and within about four feet of it.

Later as the kid's cousin walked up to us the cyclist mentioned how lucky the kid was to be alive. The cousin simply looked at the cross and said it was grace.

Tonight was one of those moments in life where you feel like you were meant to be somewhere at that exact moment. I was meant to be there with those people and that kid and see that cross.
Now I will be the first to admit I am not the most religious person and normally lean more towards the agnostic side of things, BUT and this is a big BUT.... this just seemed bigger than any of us at the accident scene. I drove away with the word grace in my head...could it really be God's grace or just a mere coincidence? One really has to wonder.....


Disclaimer** I am so exhausted Im not even going to read over this post... if I have mispelled or seem incoherent I apologize:)

No comments:

Post a Comment